1st (Loyal City of Exeter) Battalion, Devon Home Guard
The 1st (Loyal City of Exeter) Battalion Home Guard was primarily made up of three companies, each of about 480 men.
No 1 (A) Company - Pinhoe Road to the River Exe. No 2 (B) Company - Cowley Bridge to Pinhoe Road. No 3 (C) Company - St Thomas side of River Exe to Cowley Bridge.
Detachment Commander was Major Anstey until his death in 1940 when he was replaced by Capt. FJC Hunter.
On the 15th August 1940, the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill decreed that the name of the LDV be changed to Home Guard, a popular move amongst the men. The LDV armlets were quickly replaced with ones proclaiming Home Guard. All ranks were also allowed to wear the Badge of their County Regiment, and Exeter proudly bore the Devonshire badge with the motto 'Semper Fidelis'.
In early September No 4 (Mobile) Company was formed – in addition to transport supplied by the authorities, the men raised, over two years, enough money to purchase their own van, four motor cycle combinations, eight motor cycles and a field cooker. The new unit would be required to go anywhere in Devon and Cornwall in the event of an emergency.