The SA Oberste-Führung (Supreme SA Leadership) (OSAF) was a Nazi organization tasked with the central direction and coordination of the Sturmabteilung (SA), the party army of the NSDAP . In practice, their role within the SA as a whole corresponded to the general staff of an army. The abbreviation OSAF was also used for the supreme commander of the SA, who was officially referred to as the supreme SA leader .
After its founding on November 1, 1926, the Supreme SA Leadership was initially subordinate to the so-called Supreme SA Leader as the commander of the SA. In the first years of its existence, this was until the end of August 1930 Franz Pfeffer von Salomon , who in turn was responsible to Adolf Hitler as the chairman of the NSDAP. The most important employee of Pfeffer was first Georg Hallermann as his adjutant and then Otto Wagener as his chief of staff.
After Pfeffer's resignation in August 1930, as part of a fundamental reform of the SA, Hitler himself nominally assumed the office and title of Supreme SA Leader and thus command of the SA. In fact, however, at the end of 1930 the tasks of the supreme SA leader were taken over by the holder of the then newly created office of chief of staff of the SA : After Otto Wagener had acted as acting chief of staff of the SA from September 1930 to January 1931, from January 1931 to 30. June 1934 Ernst Röhm held this office. Subsequently, from June 30, 1934 until his accidental death in May 1943, Viktor Lutze and finally Wilhelm Schepmann held this post from 1943 to 1945 , with Max Jüttnerfrom May 1943 to the beginning of August 1943 was acting as chief of staff.
There was a widespread public misunderstanding that the offices of Chief of Staff and Supreme SA Leader were identical. In June 1934, SA Obergruppenfuhrer Edmund Heines had to explain to General von Kleist that Hitler and not Röhm was the supreme SA leader.
The headquarters of the Supreme SA leadership was Munich , where it used premises at Barer Strasse 7–11. The SA Chief of Staff had had an office in the Brown House since 1931 at the latest .
In July 1934, the supreme leadership of the SA was transferred from Munich to Berlin . There she was made available, among other things, in the Palais Borsig .