These Military Stamps were imprinted on all material produced for the German Army (Heer), Navy (Kriegsmarine, Reichsmarine and Kaiserliche Marine) and Airforce (Luftwaffe). These German Military Stamps were very similiar to the British Military stamps used in the late 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries which consisted of a "P" for Proof that the item was tested and met British Military standards typically on weaponry; sometimes with an "Arrow", and sometimes with a Crown and Number of the inspector. The Third Reich Waffenamt Consisted of a Stylized German Eagle or Adler, Swastika and Letter M for Navy while the Reichsmarine and Kaiserliche Marine consists of a Germanic Eagle and the Letter M only.
The German Military Ordinance Stamp was called the Waffenamt (WaA) or the German Army Weapons Agency. It was the Headquarters for all military research and development of Germany for weapons, ammunition and equipment to the German Military or Reichswehr and later called the Wehrmacht. The German Army Weapons Agency was founded in late 1919 as Reichwaffenamt (RWA), was renamed in May 1922 to the Heereswaffenamt (HWA), which in turn was renamed the Waffenamt in 1936 after the takeover of the Third Reich.