The German district of Bielitz existed between 1939 and 1945 in Poland occupied by Germany .It included after the annexation in 1939 on January 1, 1945:
8 Municipalities of the former Poland administered under the German Municipal Code of January 30, 1935, including the cities Oświęcim (now Auschwitz) and Bielsko-Biała (now Bielsko)
110 other municipalities combined in administrative districts
The Bielsko Synagogue was completely destroyed on September 13, 1939 and the Jewish population ghettoised, later deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp.
At the beginning of the Second World War , the counties Biała , Bielsko and Wadowice belonged to Poland , namely:
Bielsko to the voivodeship Silesia and
Biała and Wadowice to the voivodship Krakow .
After the German occupation of Poland in September 1939, before incorporation into the German Reich , the district Bielsko, renamed Bielsko , and the part of the district Biala west of the river Sola (without Auschwitz,Kęty , Wilkowice, with station Auschwitz) already by a German land commissioner jointly managed.
On October 26, 1939, this formerly Polish district became part of the newly formed administrative district of Katowice in the Prussian province of Silesia .
The seat of the district office became the city Bielitz .
On November 20, 1939, the border with the newly formed General Government for the occupied Polish territories was finally determined.Here, the remaining part of the district Biala east of the Sola and the part of the district Wadowice west of the line Spytkowice, Bachowice, Wozniki and the Skawa was defeated to the German Reich.These parts were also temporarily managed by the district administrator in Bielsko.
After it was decided in the spring of 1940 that the borders should not be changed, the German district of Bielitz was formed from the former county areas Biala, Bielsko and parts of Wadowitz, with over 300,000 inhabitants in 1942.
On January 18, 1941, the province of Silesia was dissolved.From the former administrative districts of Katowice and Opole, the new province of Upper Silesia was formed.
In the spring of 1945, the district was occupied by the Red Army and then became part of Poland again.