In 1920, the Nazis opened their first Party headquarters at the Sternacker Bräu in Munich. Between 1922 and the failed Beer Hall Putsch in November 1923, Hitler and the Nazis used a smaller structure at Corneliusstraße 12 for their meetings. For a time following the Party's reorganization on 27 February 1925, they met at the Eher Verlag on Thierstraße 15, which eventually became the central NSDAP publishing house. Their last base of operations was at Schellingstraße 50 before they moved into the Brown House, this was the name given to the Munich mansion located between the Karolinenplatz and Königsplatz, known before as the Palais Barlow, which was purchased in 1930 for the Nazis. They converted the structure into the headquarters of the National Socialist German Workers' Party (Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei; NSDAP). Its namesake was the result of the early Nazi Party uniforms, which were brown. Many leading Nazis, including Hitler, maintained offices there throughout the Party's existence.
Overlooking the Königplatz, Hitler's office contained the so-called Blutfahne ("blood flag" or "blood banner"). This was the NSDAP flag that had been carried at the head of the demonstration during the Beer Hall Putsch of November 1923. When Munich police had opened fire on the marchers, it had been spattered with the blood of the wounded and became a sacred relic of the Nazi Party.